Thursday 3 March 2011

Blueberry and orange cake

There is a cake recipe that never fails, the yoghurt cake. I think, at least in Portugal, everyone knows this recipe because most likely it was the first cake you baked, being so easy only having to mix up everything and bake.

The trick is to use the yoghurt container as the measuring cup for the other ingredients, so you really don´t need a lot of kitchen supplies for this, and the equation is quite simple: 1x yoghurt, 2x times sugar, 3x flour, 1x oil (or other fat). The original recipe asks for 3x sugar, but for me that is way too much! So usually I use either 2x or even less 1,5x like in this case. Also I tend to reduce a bit on the oil... By know you must have noticed I cannot sick to a recipe.... yeah I´m like that.

I do a lot of variations on the basic recipe, either by using different types of yoghurt, by adding fruits, or just some flavoring like vanilla or lemon zest.

Here I used some nice big blueberries with some orange juice/zest, which proved to be a really nice combination!



Blueberry and orange cake

Ingredients


(use the yoghurt cup as the measuring cup)

4 eggs
1 plain yoghurt (good quality, with no sugar or flavors added)
1 and 1/2 measuring cups of sugar
3 measuring cups of flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 a measuring cup of oil or butter
zest of one orange
juice of 1 orange
1 tablespoon of triple sec (or other orange liqueur)
blueberries to taste (I used more or less 1 measuring cup)

Beat the eggs with the sugar until you get a creamy mixture. Add the flour (with the baking powder mixed in) and the yoghurt mixing well between each addition. Mix in the lemon zest, juice and triple sec and incorporate well. Add the blueberries mixing carefully. Bake at 180°C for 40 minutes (might take less might take more depending on the baking form and the oven).

Easy!

6 comments:

  1. Rute,
    Uma bolo perfeito :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rute - great recipe! I made it yesterday with cranberries instead of blueberries. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen! I´m happy that you tried it! And cranberries also seems like a great option!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 plain yogurt.. Can you tell me in grams, how much that is??
    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete